run pretty run fast

a blog about running fast with style

Month in Review: Newton is pissed. And he’s coming after you.

February 4 – March 10



It’s true.  Mr. Newton is mad at me maybe it’s because I never finished physics in high school.  Silly misdiagnosed ruptured appendix (apparently Mr. Darwin wasn’t too happy with me either.)  Or maybe it’s my lazy microanatomy and poor running mechanics.

Per usual I’m way ahead of myself here.

February 4-10

I was pretty tired after my Sunday hilly 17 miler with a less than epic attempt at some marathon paced miles.

Monday I was ready to take things easy and run based on my heart rate.  This was another one of those runs were I would have been totally content hanging out at 8:45 pace but worked to get HR to the low 150s which meant an 8:00 minute average for 7 miles.

Every article or book I’ve read on HR says it’s hard for people to slow down on their easy days to get their HR to 70% so I’m not exactly sure what this means for me but it was a nice Seattle morning (I should probs warn you now there are going to be a lot of pictures in this post.)





I heart Seattle even when it’s gray.

I could tell that my legs were tight so I hit-up some yoga at noon.


Tuesday I ran an easy 7 with 10 x 100m strides.  Everything felt good and I was ready to hit the track again on Wednesday.

Wednesday called for 10 x 800m at 10k-5k pace.  I figured I’d run the first 5 around 3:03-04 pace and the last 5 at 2:57-8 pace.

But nothing felt right during this workout.  I felt tired but was still managing to hit pace.  My legs really felt the burn going into the second lap but I was able to maintain and get going again with 2 min recovery.  I figured it was just one of those workouts so I just kept going.

Here’s what I ran:  2:59, 3:00, 3:00, 2:58, 2:57, 2:59, 2:58, 2:59, 2:55, 2:56.  To be honest it was a weird workout and I felt weird.  I was running sub 6 minute mile pace and I felt like I was standing still.  I figured we all have days we don’t feel great so I was just happy to make it through hitting pace (by the way kept trying to slow down to 3:03 but that pace felt worse… doesn’t make sense to me either).

Thursday I wasn’t sore but my whole body was tired.  I figured I’d hit the trail for a few miles and if it felt bad I’d turn around.  I was surprised to feel good and managed and easy 7.

Friday was a much needed rest day in prep for a big Saturday long run.

I’d been looking froward to this workout all week.  The plan was an easy mile warm-up followed by 5 miles at 30 seconds slower than marathon pace, 5 miles at 20 seconds slower than marathon pace and 4 miles at marathon pace finishing it all up with and easy mile cool down (16 total).

My body had other plans.  The first 5 were hilly and my quads were still exhausted (much like Wednesday).  I opted to find the flats for the second 5 and last 4.  I was supposed to run 7:18, 7:08 and then 6:48 but barely managed 7:16, 7:15 and 7:14.

I was disappointed but knew I was still getting over a cold and knew I could run this workout.  At this point I was feeling pretty good.  I went home and hit up the grocery store.  I’m still not sure exactly what happened but  out of nowhere my heel started hurting (at the grocery store)- like to the point where I was limping.  I tried my best to not make a big deal about it both my feet had been sore that week but it was really impossible to ignore.

I took Sunday off and figured I’d be back the next week.

February 11-17

I bounced out of bed Monday morning and my heel was sore but not too bad so I figured I test it out.  I took two steps out the door and was immediately limping.  Should probably stop right?  Or…  I could take my hard orthodic out, run 7 miles 8 x 100m strides and head into the office.

Can you guess which option I did?

My heel didn’t hurt on my run but it was killing me in my work shoes.  I decided to cross train for a few days and make a visit to my foot doc.

There’s not much I can say about cross training except that it’s hard for me to keep my locker combinations straight.


I have to use this one because it’s located at a pool.  Yep deep water running:  2 sets of 5 x 1:30 with 30 seconds recovery on Tuesday with 28 mins on the bike before.

Wednesday I biked for 30 mins and used the elliptical for 30.


Good thing my view from the elliptical was of the trail I wanted to be running on (please read this sentence with sarcasm).

Thursday was my Dr. apt where he informed me I had Plantar Fasciitis and that I couldn’t run for several weeks.  Say what?  I left his office and yes I cried in the car and opted for a day off of any and all cross training.

I somehow managed to collect myself on Friday and get on the elliptical for 30 mins and then the pool for 6 x 2:30 with 30 seconds recovery.  Saturday I couldn’t stand the thought of smelling like chlorine so I did a no impact stair workout.  3 x 10 times up the stairs walling skipping a step with 1 min recovery between sets (takes me 45 mins).


Jealous?  It wasn’t bad but it wasn’t running and the heel felt okay during the workout.  Sunday was a less than amazing 60 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes on the bike.

Bored yet?  I am.

February 18-24

Monday was my first PT session and not the PT my doctor suggested instead he was a recommendation from a running friend.  I had this feeling since my doc told me it PF that in fact wasn’t.  It just didn’t sit right with me even though all my Google searches confirmed the diagnosis (which should be a red flag) I didn’t believe it.  Hello denial?

Nope not denial.  PT confirmed my suspicion and diagnosed was a bruised heel 14 – 21 days to heal and mine wasn’t that bad so hopefully 14 days.

Okay breath.  I can do 14 days right?  7 down.

So how did this happen?  Newton.  Yep physics caught up to me.  During my last training cycle I’d noticed the my Hoka laces were fraying on the right foot on the right side.  I knew that something must be off but nothing hurt and my area of expertise is not biomechanics so I just kept running.

I finally decided to change the laces out because (1) they were frayed and (2) I couldn’t tight them down enough.  Hello problem.  My heel was loose in the shoe and hitting my orthodic and the combo of 800s and 16 miler finally banged my heel up enough to give me a bone bruise.  Add the fact that my calves have 0%-5% of upward motion (supposed to be 15%) and the fact that my toe was turning out to get the power it needed my heel was actually shearing the inside of my shoe on the hard orthoic.

I know right?

So we’re fixing my issues.  It’s good fun.

With the glimmer of hope I focused on cross training.  Monday 50 minutes on the elliptical, Tuesday 24 mins on elliptical with 2 sets of 6 x 1:30 (30 sec recovery) deep water running, Wednesday stair workout, Thursday rest, Friday 1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1 deep water running (1min recovery), Saturday 7 x 5 min deep water running (1 min recovery) and Sunday… wait for it… 1 hour bike and 1 hour elliptical (snooze).

I also did a lot of yoga and not this type of yoga:


I mean downward dog and triangle for an hour.  My PT informed me that I am the type of runner that has to do yoga (a lot).  Sweet.

I also did what I always do when injured… buy running clothes.  I mean there was a sample sale what was I supposed to do?


February 25 – March

Monday I was back at the PT where he told me I that I got to run a test run on Wednesday!  What!  Heck yeah.  So more cross training until then.  I rested on Monday (well I did yoga) and on Tuesday I did my stair workout- 4 sets this time.


All smiles!


But not so fast.  Workout was good but my foot was killing me by the end of the day.  Doesn’t my foot know I get to test out a run tomorrow?  PT approved 4 miles!  4!.

What to do?

Wednesday I ran exactly 1.33 miles and it didn’t hurt but to be honest I was running on my toes avoiding my heel.  I was then back in the pool for 2 sets of 9 x 1:30.  My heart was not in it.

Back to the PT on Thursday where it was decided that my work shoes were the issue and he taped my heel pad in place.  So only running kicks for a week and I decided to take 5 days off since our friend Jack Daniels said it won’t hurt.


Thursday – Monday no cross training just PT exercises.  I did head home to visit the family, some friends the coast and the Nike employee store (will post pics soon).

IMG_4596The coast was not ugly.


And of course there was a trip to Mo’s and clam chowder was consumed.

Unfortunately my heel still hurt.

March 4-10

PT appointment on Monday and I was ready for the worst but PT was optimistic and thought I’d be able to run by the weekend.  He just wanted to give it a few more days.  So back to cross training.

Tuesday 3 sets of 7 x 1:30, Wednesday 30 min bike 30 min elliptical Thursday PT and the best news… running approved for that day!  Bruise is gone and the pain is new muscle from my changing mechanics so just be careful and ice and stretch after.

I couldn’t stop staring at the clock all day and it was a beautiful day out perfect for a run.  I finally made my escape and ran 3 mile (slowly) around the GL.  I wanted to shout at everyone to tell them how excited I was but exercised a little self-control.  I felt the heel a bit but it warmed up and I couldn’t feel it by the end.


Real smiles.  (And new Nike long sleeve).


And confirmation that my new Pegs prefer outdoor activities.

I only ran 3 miles so I hit the gym for an hour on the elliptical (and 2 full Brady Bunch episodes).

Friday I woke up to a lot of pain but it was the good kind of pain (not the bruise) and my heel felt better by the end of the day.  I opted to deep water run after work planning on 8 x 5 mins hard but got kicked out of the pool after 6 for water aerobics.  Yeah I know.  And surprisingly popular.


Saturday morning foot felt pretty good ran a (slow) easy 4.

Sunday 3 easy no pain by the end but it’s a “log run day” so I hit the gym for and hour on the bike and an hour on the elliptical (and Mama Mia).

Someone save me from cross training hell.

The foot still hurts but it’s not the bruise.  PT said it was going to hurt for a bit so we’ll see what he says tomorrow.  The good news is doesn’t hurt while running and I’m not changing my stride but I’m still taking it a day at a time.

I’m still planning on my half at the end of April and hopefully the full at the end of May.  I have lots of time.  No time to panic now, but it is time to be careful and not rush anything.

Mr. Newton, lesson learned.  I promise to work on my mechanics.

run pretty run fast


3 comments on “Month in Review: Newton is pissed. And he’s coming after you.

  1. Pingback: Week in Review: Dorsiflexion and a horse named Bunny | run pretty run fast

  2. Pingback: Week in Review: And this might not be how one tapers for a half marathon… #maybe | run pretty run fast

  3. Pingback: Ojai, it was good while it lasted | run pretty run fast

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


This entry was posted on March 10, 2013 by in Week in Review and tagged , , , , , , , , .
%d bloggers like this: